Site of Coleshill Park
The site of a medieval deer park where deer were kept for hunting. It was situated north of Coleshill Hall Farm. Recommended for inclusion on Local List by Lovie
1 A park at Coleshill is recorded in 1496. The park retained its deer and was not disparked till about 1812.
2 The N and W perimeter is possibly as shown on the 6″ map but no trace of the pale was seen.
3 The extent of the park is depicted on an estate map of 1783.
1 /Desc Text /Shirley E /1867 / /Deer Parks /p160 /WMB – offprints / Y /
2 /Desc Text / /1967 /OS /SP18NE4 / /WMB /Y /
3 /Map /Snape J /1783 / /CRO Z.115 (u) / /CRO /Y /
45 Lovie mentions the deer park with ‘old park’ in brackets.He describes it as one of an important group of early deer parks in North Warwickshire. By 1810, when the house was demolished, it is suggested that the parkland was turned over to agriculture although some may have been retained.
Lovie reports that the grounds retain C19th terraced pleasure ground with bowling green and ornamental tree planting to the east; to the west is a walled garden, shrubbery walk, lawns and rose beds.
6 Morton refers to the park as ‘Old Clinton Park’. It took up largely the central part of the Parish.