Site of Possible Shrunken Settlement of Upper Shuckburgh
Earthwork remains of deserted Medieval Settlement of Upper Shuckburgh
1 The 1517 Inquiry found depopulation here. Upper Shuckburgh was depopulated in 1492. The church stands in parkland. There is a small group of houses in the vicinity, but these may be modern. There was a population of 10 in Upper Shuckburgh in 1730.
2 Poor archaeological evidence (C), excellent evidence of the village’s former existence, but period of desertion not known.
3 The site of the village can possibly be identitied with a disturbed area SW of the church and above the fishponds. It would be a typical site but there is no really positive surface evidence.
4 It was not possible to undertake a thorough site visit. Earthworks were located just S of the church. These include several possible house platforms. There is also much ridge and furrow in the area. It is essential to contact Sir C Shuckburgh before making a visit.
5 For an alternative possible site see PRN 4928.
6 A list of miscellaneous references to the depopulation of both Upper and Lower Shuckburgh from Domesday till 1779.
8 Observation of the erection of six electricity poles across the medieval settlement revealed no archaeological features, although two 14th/15th century sherds were recovered from the topsoil in one trench.
9 Plan of the Manor of Upper Shugburgh. 17th/early 18th century.