Shrunken C17-C19 Settlement at Spernall
The site of an area of shrunken village at Spernall dating to the Imperial period. The remains of the village are visible as earthworks.
1 The village consists only of the church and rectory and a few scattered farms and cottages. Depopulation occurred in the Medieval period (PRN 550) and evidence exists for Post Medieval settlement (PRN 6122).
2 The village did not entirely disappear after the Medieval depopulation, for a small number of houses still lay along the road linking Spernall Hall Farm with Lower Spernall Farm in 1746. The earthwork evidence is slight, the most prominent features are their surrounding tofts which gave rise to small lynchets. Ridge and furrow terminates abruptly at the edge of these platforms.
3 Plan shows location of earthworks of a number of 17th to 19th century houses.
4 Air photographs.