Saxon Mill, Guy's Cliffe
The Saxon Mill at Guy's Cliffe, a watermill which may be Saxon in origin.There is documentary evidence for a mill at this site from the Medieval onwards. In 1952 the stone buildings were converted into a restaurant. A small waterwheel survives.
1 A Saxon origin is claimed. The mill was the property of Kenilworth Priory in the 12th century. There are many references in the 16th century relating to two, and later three, watermills under one roof. Information on ownership exists for the 18th, 19th and early 20th century. The mill closed in 1938 and was converted into a restaurant and bar in 1952. All the buildings are of stone, dating mainly from the 18th century, but part of the mill appears to be earlier. The main waterwheel has gone, but a smaller one still turns.
3 Mentioned in VCH.
4 Reply to a member of the public.