The site of Pailton Mill, a corn mill that dates back to the Medieval period. The mill continued in use through to the Imperial period. The mill building has been demolished but the remains are visible as earthworks. The site is located 300m east of Street Ashton.
1 Pailton corn mill was close to Street Ashton.
2 This may be the site of the mill in Street Ashton, mentioned in 1304. In 1341 Pailton Mill was granted to Sir John Revel. Details of ownership exist for the 19th century. The mill probably closed c1914. The main mill building was demolished many years ago, and only some outbuildings remain. The wheelpit can still be seen, and the overgrown foundations of the mill. The outline of the mill pond and the tail race are still visible.
3 Allowing for a bit more overgrowth and general degradation, this report is true of the mill’s present state.