New Bridge, 300m E of Grecian Lodges, Stoneleigh
New Bridge, a rusticated stone bridge built in the Imperial period to carry the drive to Stoneleigh Abbey across the Avon. It is situated 500m northwest of the Abbey.
1 There is quite a lot of material on the Stoneleigh bridge in the Leigh MSS, Series D, Warwickshire Papers, Bundles 17 and 37-8. Built 1814-5, of Cubbington stone, at a cost of £2288. Lord Leigh had previously consulted Humphrey Repton (who had landscaped the park) and John Rennie about the bridge, which was presumably designed by the latter. The bridge referred to cannot be the one in the village (PRN 2856); it is obvious from Repton’s letters that it was to be in the park.
2 Bridge carrying drive to Stoneleigh Abbey. Heavily rusticated stone. Main span and one dry arch on each side. Between the arches and to either side are round-headed niches. Moulded string band at road level. At road level open balustrade above the arches but above the piers and abutments are solid panels in the balustrade. Panelled piers at ends of parapet.
3 Photographed in 1986.
4 Of Greek design, completed in 1814.