Site of Wharf near Rising Bridge, Lapworth
The site of a canal wharf, where vessels would have loaded and unloaded goods during the Imperial period. It was located at the north west side of Rising Bridge, Lapworth, and is marked on the Ordnance Survey map of 1886.
1 On the 1886 OS map, a wharf is indicated in this area and presumably occupied a corner of a larger field still separate, and now partially wooded over and derelict, now being used as a “dumping area”.
2 On the site visit a boat was tied up against the canal bank at this point, but no obvious remains of a wharf could be observed.
3 “Numerous wharves used to serve the rural communities of the Forest of Arden..(including)..Rising Bridge Wharf at Bridge 66.”