Ice House at Barrells Park
The site of an icehouse, a structure built partially underground where ice was stored during the warmer months. It was built during the Imperial period and is still visible as an earthwork. It is situated 500m south east of Ullenhall.
1 Rediscovered in 1950, partly covered with shrubs and beech trees. It is a substantial structure in brick, with a dome 2.4 to 3m above ground level. The rest of the structure is below ground with total internal height of 5.3m and a diameter of 4.2m at greatest circumference. In section it resembles an egg with the larger end uppermost. The building is entered at ground level by a small corridor having a gate at either end – one a heavy grille door which provides the only ventilation, and the other a heavy oak door, both having massive locks. There was probably once a drain, although this has been lost. The icehouse was probably constructed in 1856. Trees and shrubs were planted to shelter the icehouse from the sun. The entrance is due E. This is probably the best preserved example in the district.
3 Still visible and in good condition.