The site of Fulbrook Park, a deer park dating to the Medieval or Post Medieval period. The park is known from documentary evidence. It is situated in the area of Fulbrook.
1 Park attached to Fulbrook Castle, created in the reign of Henry V by the Duke of Bedford. The castle being too close to Warwick, it was allowed to fall into disrepair, and the pales were subsequently noted as a haunt for highway robbers. Leland describes a fayre parke, but notes that much of the stonework of the castle had been removed. The park was renewed and extended in the early 17th century. Contains a description of part of the bounds of the park.
2 Fulbrook parish is divided by the Warwick-Stratford road into 2 unequal portions. The boundaries of the larger are approximately those of the park enclosed by John, Duke of Bedford about 1421. Rous complains bitterly that the enclosing of the park converted a formerly safe highway into a notorious haunt for robbers. It was disparked by John Dudley, but renewed and extended in the 17th century, when Hampton Wood and adjacent lands were added. In the later 17th century the park was being divided into farms, and though it is shown on Beighton’s map of 1725 it was by this time little more than a name.
4 Map of 1736.
5 ‘Park’ field names noted.
6 Lovie comments that the area is open farmland with blocks of woodland, few houses, at the time of his report (1996/7).
7 Lovie comments that a 19th century engraving of a deer barn at Fulbrook has been seen, suggesting that some deer-keeping continued, possibly on the Lucy estate.