The Hill, Warwick Road - grounds
Gardens created in the Imperial period, and which retain evidence of 19th century layout and planting. The gardens are marked on the Ordnance Survey maps of 1886 and 1938, and are situated to the north of the Warwick Road. Recommended for inclusion on Register/Local List by Lovie.
1 Large villa site with drive, lodge, terrace, pleasure grounds, kitchen garden, paddocks, maze. House built 1856-7. Now owned by Shakespeare Birthplace Trust. Substantial remains of 19th century layout and planting. Possibly designed by Milner.
2 The Hill was commissioned by Edward Flower in 1856, but the site is poorly documented and the names of the architect and garden designer have not been identified. 1886 OS map shows long sinuous drive, lodge, terrace, conservatory, pleasure grounds, walks, maze and paddocks. The house, now owned by the Shakespeare Birthplace Trust, has been divided into apartments; part of the paddocks has been developed, and the conservatory has been demolished. Locally significant mid 19th century site suitable for inclusion on the Local List.
3 Shown on OS 1:10560 1886 Sht Warks 44NW, as described in 2.
4 Shown on OS 1:10560 1938 Sht Warks 44NW.