Hampton Lucy Medieval Settlement
The possible extent of the Medieval settlement in Hampton Lucy. The area of settlement is suggested by observations made on the Ordnance Survey map of 1887.
1 The possible extent of the Medieval settlement, based on the second edition 6″ OS map of 1887, 44NE.
2 Domesday lists Hampton Lucy in Pathlow Hundred. The Phillimore edition gives a grid ref of 2557 which differs from this grid ref which 2562.
Ref 3,1 The Bishop of Worcester holds Hampton (Lucy). 12 hides. Land for 22 ploughs. In lordship 2; 4 slaves; 22 villagers and 9 smallholders with a priest who have 24 ploughs. A mill at 6s 8d; meadow, 15 furlongs in length and 1 furlong in width; in Warwick 3 houses at 16d; woodland 1 league long and another wide. Value before 1066 £4; later as much; now £20
3The 1887 map show a relatively small village. The area to the north of the church, now the site of the school, is empty and undivided into plots or fields, but may have been part of the medieval settlement since Domesday indicates a populous and valuable village. The original church [WA968] was built in the medieval period, and the mill [WA 977] may be the site of the one noted in 1086.