Early C19 Bridge at Binton Bridges
Binton Bridge which was built during the Imperial period. It may have replaced an earlier bridge. The bridge is situated on Binton Road.
1 The ford associated with the Medieval bridge (PRN 1722) became impassable and c1783 William Silvester, one of the tenants, pulled down the old bridge and built a series of small bridges, just wide enough for wagons, which carried the road right across the river. He also erected a tollgate at the S end. Silvester’s bridge, being without parapets, was the scene of frequent accidents and in times of flood might be submerged for weeks together. In 1807 a petition was made for a county bridge. This failed, but a subscription was raised and work was carried out between 1804 and 1809. The bridge now consists of twelve arches, of which the five southern-most seem to date wholly from that time. The stonework of the remainder is substantially that of Silvester’s bridge, with traces of an earlier bridge (PRN 1722).
2 Listed Building description.
3 Noted by Ordnance Survey.