Alveston Medieval Settlement
The possible extent of the Medieval settlement of Alveston. The area of settlement is suggested by the Ordnance Survey map of 1886.
1 The possible extent of the Medieval settlement, based on the first edition 6″ map. 44NE 1886.
2 Domesday lists Alveston in Pathlow Hundred. Grid ref: 2356
Ref3,3 ‘The Bishop (of Worcester) also holds Alveston. 15 hides. Land for 24 ploughs. In lordship 2; 28 villagers, 15 smallholders and 1 female slave. They have 22 ploughs. 3 mills at 40s and 1012 sticks of eels; in Warwick4 houses at 16d; meadow 6 furlongs long and 1 furlong wide.
Ref3,4 is an addition in the Domesday text referring to the ownership of hides before 1066.
3 The crossing place of the Avon at Alveston is ancient – see PRN 8636. Alveston Old Church had Norman origins, and the Domesday survey indicates that the village was substantial. The 1886 map shows few houses and several larger
properties of the Imperial period, but the road plan is bendy, and encloses areas, suggesting shrinkage.There is a curious semicircle on the eastern side of the river, marked ‘4ft face of fence’, and ‘centre of ditch’, on the 1886 map.
4 Ridge and furrow plotting of the parish of Stratford-upon-Avon.
5 A note added to the foot of the page at the end of Alveston’s entry in Domesday Book records that before 1066 “Archbishop Aldred had full jurisdiction of this land, and market rights and church-tax ” indicating the presence of a market and early church.