Warwickshire in 100 Objects: Coal Miner's Lamp
This coal miners lamp dates from the early 20th century and was gifted to Warwickshire Museum in 1958. It is cylindrical and made from metal and glass, with a loop handle at the top. It has clear signs of use. An embossed plaque identifies it as being manufactured by The Protector Lamp & Lighting Co., from their factory in Eccles, Mancester. The company has been manufacturing safety lamps since 1873 and is still in business.
The design of these lamps (also know as Davy Lamps) was to provide a safe flame in potentially flammable atmospheres and to act as a test for low oxygen or harmful gases. These lamps were used in the collieries that operated throughout Warwickshire from the time of the Industrial Revolution. The coal mining industry was particularly key for many towns in North Warwickshire.