Warwickshire in 100 Objects: Suffragette Sash
A shoulder sash in white, purple and green with the words ‘Votes for Women’. These were worn by members of the Woman’s Social & Political Union (WSPU), known colloquially as the suffragettes, who campaigned for the right of women to vote from 1903-1917. This sash was owned by local suffragette Cicely Lucas, who lived in Claverdon.
The WSPU was known for direct activism and civil disobedience across the UK. They distinguished themselves from the law-abiding suffragist organisation NUWSS (known for letter writing) with the phase “Deeds Not Words”.