The Parthenon, Bath St, Leamington Spa
A Civic Centre, that comprised a dance hall, was built in the Imperial period and has been used for various purposes including a Music Hall. By 1873 it was used as the reference library and in 1979 the lower floor housed a supermarket. It is situated on Bath Street.
1 No 52 Bath Street. The Royal Assembly Rooms were erected. The upper part consisted of a luxurious ballroom and the lower rooms were fitted up as a library and reading room. After two changes of ownership, the lease lapsed and its name was changed to The Royal Music Hall. The property again changed hands twice and finally came into the hands of a gentleman who reverted the building to its original title. The entrance was demolished as Bath Street developed. By 1873 it housed the reference library of Leamington.
2 Large stucco building of unusual style. Semi-circular headed sashes on third floor, square headed sashes on second floor… semi-circular tympana over first floor windows which have crude and heavy cast iron balcony.
3 Upper floor facades intact. The ground floor is now ‘Bejam Food Centre’.