The site of a park created in the Imperial period and marked on the Ordnance Survey maps of 1886 and 1906. It appears to have been extended at a later date and features a kitchen garden, avenue and gatehouse. It is located 900m of the church, Southam.
1 The earliest reference to a park at Stoneythorpe is in the 18th century. At that time (1754) the park would seem to have been restricted to a small area within the field now called ‘The Park’. The extension of it across the river apparently happened at a later date.
2 Estate map.
3 Parkland surrounding house of late 16th/ early 17th century origin. Park developed in 18th century and was later extended. Features include 17th century gate, avenue, kitchen garden, lodge. Parkland in agricultural use. Recommended for inclusion on Local List.
4 – 5 The OS 1:10560 1886 Shts Warks 40NW/NE show several features, including a formal drive and avenue, together.
6 – 7 The OS 1:10560 1906 Shts Warks 40NW/NE show the area of parkland at that date shaded.
8 Shown on Greenwood’s map of 1822.