Clopton Park, a park which was originally a Post Medieval deer park. The park now incorporates elements of 17th and 19th century landscape design. It is located to the north of Clopton. Recommended for inclusion on Local List by Lovie.
1 A deerpark is recorded at Clopton in 1564. Shown on Speed’s map of 1610. Possibly created in c.1540 when common fields at Clopton were enclosed. Traces of possible park pale survive on east and west sides of the park surrounding well preserved relict ridge and furrow. Clopton House was rebuilt in c.1665 and there is evidence that further landscaping took place at this time, involving creation of avenues to the east, west and possibly to the south of the house, gardens around the house, possibly garden terraces east of the house and creation of a group of three ornamental fishponds. The park was extended by Charles Warde between 1843 (shown on a map Shakespeare Birthplace Trust – DR/287/43) and 1865 when Charles Warde died. The park was extended to the north and east, Clopton Tower (WA 1034) was built, the gardens around the house were extended and extensive planting of existing avenues and new belts took place. This phase of expansion is shown on the 1886 OS 1st edition 6′ map. In recent times the southern part of the park has been covered by housing development. See source for further details of earthwork features recorded across the parkland.
2 Also notes existence of a ha-ha, kitchen garden and walled garden. The house was split into flats in 1982 and the land is under development threat. Recommended for inclusion on Local List.
3 Rolling parkland surrounding house forms important open space for Stratford. There are several walled enclosures east of the house which were probably gardens developed in the 17th century, but there is little documentary evidence of the form which the gardens took, except for an illustration showing the lawn and drive to the front of the house c1800 (reproduced in source). The park was neglected in the early 19th century, when the park was let, but was sold in 1831 to George Lloyd of the neighbouring Welcombe estate. A number of alterations and additions were made in the rest of the 19th century, but several of these, including a conservatory, were removed in the early 20th century.
4 , 5 The OS 1:10560 1886 Shts 38SW/44NW show formal gardens surrounding the house and the remains of several possible avenues.
6 The OS 1:10560 1926 Sht 38SW shows the grounds shaded.
7 The OS 1:10560 1938 Sht 44NW shows the park at that date shaded, together with some late features including a swimming bath north east of the house.
8 Clopton Park not shown on early 19th century maps – reinstated later in 19th century. With map analysing development of park.
9 Illustrative maps showing development of park.
10 19th century enclosure noted.