Site of The Court and School House
The site of a possibly Medieval building which was used as a court house, a village hall and a school house. It was possibly rebuilt during the Post Medieval period and was demolished around 1860. It was situated in the churchyard in Rowington.
1 On the very edge of the churchyard stood a building known by various names including The Court, The Church House and The School House. It was probably Medieval in origin and was almost certainly the building used as the manorial court house and as a village meeting place. In the late 16th century it was renovated and extended or even rebuilt. It was demolished circa 1860. In 1700 records state that William Yates of Kenilworth was ‘teaching a school in Rowington’. Though at ‘scole howse’ is mentioned in 1576. This site is marked as building No. 53 on the 1550 – 1650 map in this book.