Site of Romano-British Cemetery at 77 Tiddington Road, Stratford
The site of a cemetery dating to Romano-British period. It contained over 200 burials, of which most were inhumations, with some cremations. Probably associated with the settlement to the east (MWA4467).
1 220 graves recently excavated (1923-4) in the meadow sloping down to the river between ‘Stratford’ and the village of Tiddington.
2 The skeletons, men, women and children, many in a fair state of preservation, were sent to Birmingham University for examination.
3 Twelve more burials from this cemetery.
4 Finds are in New Place Museum.
5 The only records of this excavation surviving are a plan (in Warwickshire Museum Field Services archive), showing about twenty burials, and a few photographs, but about 220 burials were excavated, mostly inhumations with some cremations.
6 “The evidence for the Anglo-Saxon use of the 1923-4 Tiddington cemetery is probably spurious, as the alleged finds cannot be traced”. The finds appear to have actually been associated with burials from Alveston Manor (MWA5162).
7 Letter about the location of material from Bradley Lodge, Alveston.
8 Observation of a foundation trench to the rear of 77 Tiddington Road. A single burial, probably of Roman date, was recorded, likely belonging to the cemetery excavated in 1923.
9 Verbal report of human remains during excavation of a swimming pool on 79 Tiddington Rd.
10 Full report for 8. This new find of a skeleton demonstrates that the 1923-1924 excavations did not reveal the full extent of the cemetery. There is therefore good reason to suppose that other burials still exist in the vicinity.
11 Evaluation at no 79 recorded a large number of burials. These were left in situ, but an initial appraisal, based on orientation and lack of grave goods, suggests strongly they are of Romano-British date. They ranged from moderately well to poorly preserved, in the slightly acid soils at Tiddington. The absence of graves in trenches further to the north, suggests that the cemetery was limited to the flat part of the Avon’s second terrace. A linear feature was however located in trenches to the north which could suggest a boundary for the cemetery.