Site of Poss Watermill 300m NE of Little Alne Br
The possible site of a Post Medieval watermill, known from documentary sources. The mill may have used for making paper. It was located 300m north east of Little Alne Bridge.
1 The earliest reference to paper-making occurs in the inclosure award of 1743, from which it appears that there must have been a mill near the junction of the Alne and Silesbourne Brook. There are remains of another mill N of Alne Bridge, which used to be known locally as Swallow Mill, but may perhaps be identified with the Stretton Mill mentioned in the Hearth Tax returns for 1667. It may also have been the watermill of 1743, already referred to.