Site of Medieval Manor House at Temple Farm, Wolvey
The site of a manor house. Documentary evidence suggests that it dates from the Medieval period. It is situated 500m north of Wolvey.
1 In 1257 two virgates and two tofts were granted to Robert de Saunford, Master of the Order of Templars. The estate continued to be held by them or by their successors, the Hospitallers, until the Reformation. In 1570 this was a manor known as ‘Temple Wolvey’.
2 The temple is a multi-period farmhouse. The oldest part is probably the stone chimney which may be 15th century or 16th century.