Site of Medieval Chapel at Lower Shuckburgh
The site of a Medieval chapel which is known to have existed from documentary evidence. It was situated to the south of the church at Lower Shuckburgh.
1 Shuckburgh was a chapelry of Priors Hardwick until the latter part of the 19th century. Before 1860, when it was completely rebuilt, the chapel consisted of chancel and nave, apparently of the late 13th century, a low W tower, perhaps contemporary, crowned with a pyramidal cap, and a S porch. The only evidence surviving in the present church (PRN 856) is a 13th century font, a stone tablet dated 1620 and a late 17th century altar table.
2 Drawing of c1820.