Site of Clopton Deserted Medieval Settlement
Cropmarks which are visible on aerial photographs may be the remains of a Medieval deserted settlement. The site is located 400m south east of Lower Clopton.
1 Small rectangular entrenchment, doubtless of Roman origin.
2 In 1959 a section was cut across this earthwork. Records include a section drawing and a photograph and a note recording that the pottery dates from the late 13th century and 14th century.
3 Could this have been a building site? Irregularities due S may have been part of an old village site.
5 Complex of enclosures on aerial photographs indicate additional enclosures which probably represent a deserted Medieval village site.
6 The site is now under plough.
7 Correspondence from 1959 about permission for the excavation.
8 Early undated letter.
9 Letter mentioning ‘further evidence’ uncovered during ploughing.