Deserted Settlement at Bishopton
The site of a deserted settlement dating to the Imperial period. The remains of the settlement are visible as an earthwork. Documentary evidence shows a reduction in houses occupied: 11 in 1841 and 4 by 1871. It is situated 750m south of Bishopton Hill.
1 Deserted Medieval village, Bishopton. Earthworks were sketch planned in 1976. The original village nucleus seems to have been situated at the end of the present lane, but subsequently encroached onto the strips of the field to the E. The area is very wet and there are a number of possible fishponds (MWA6264). The church was also distinguished (MWA6261). The whole area is under pasture although some of the fields were ploughed during the last war.
3 The Medieval (MWA921) and Post Medieval (MWA6262) village continued to be occupied. By the mid 19th century two farms, Burton Farm and Manor Farm, had become dominant. However, Bishopton was still a recognisable village in the early 19th century with eleven houses in 1841 in addition to Burton Farm. By 1871 only four cottages are recorded as occupied. The village is shown on Greenwood’s map of 1822. Parts of the site have been disturbed. The earthwork remains on Manor Farm, some of them associated with cottages which survived into the 19th century, appear to remain unaltered but have not been closely examined.