Shrunken Post Medieval Settlement at Hurst
The possible site of the Post Medieval shrunken village of Hurst. It is situated to the east of Broadwells Wood.
1 In 1154, when monks were settled at Cryfield Grange (PRN 2852-3) the village was moved to Hurst. Hurst was anciently a village consisting of nineteen houses, of which by the start of Henry VII’s reign there is now no more than one left. There are here fourteen houses.
2 Poor archaeology (C), small quantities of documentary evidence and period of desertion not known.
3 A map of 1597 shows a number of houses in the area around South Hurst farm.
4 A map of 1766 shows at least seven houses in the same area.
5 The exact location of Hurst is not known as there may have been two related villages at Upper Hurst.
6 Coin weight Louis d’Or (gold coin) of Louis XIV found nearby.