Post Medieval Mound 200m S of Billesley Hall
A mound thought to be of Post Medieval date. During an excavation the mound was found to contain the burial of a horse. The mound survives as an earthwork and is situated 200m south of Billesley Hall.
1 1927: Excavation of a ‘tumulus’ at Billesley Hall. At the junction of the road to Aston Cantlow and the lane from Wilmcote there is a well-marked tumulus, now about 21m in diameter and about 3m high, but which was found to have been 3.8m above the original surface. From one side a trench had been cut; this was done some few years ago when, it was reported, a skeleton of a horse was discovered. Further excavation at a lower level produced nothing except a single horseshoe. The mound was built entirely of small shaly stone such as can be obtained locally. In the absence of any other evidence it is assumed that this tumulus was made for the burial of a favourite horse in, probably, the 18th century.