Nethercote Deserted Medieval Settlement
The site of a deserted settlement dating to the Medieval period. It is visible as an earthwork on aerial photographs and is located 750m east of Great Wolford.
1 Aerial photograph.
2 Earthworks of enclosures and probable sunken ways show on air photographs. These appear to indicate the site of a shrunken Medieval village. Place names Nethercote, Nethercote Bridge and Nethercote Cottages probably indicate that the settlement was called Nethercote. The old SMR card is missing, and there do not appear to be any references to this site in the standard works (Beresford and DMVRG No 6, Beresford and Hurst).
3 Nethercote first occurs in 1321.
4 Earthworks of enclosures and probable sunken ways shown on aerial photographs were mapped as part of the English Heritage National Mapping Project. There appears to be 6 rectangular building platforms located 150m to the south east of Nethercote Farm. On the eastern side of the site the Nethercote brook appears to have been straightened leaving two meanders as ponds, which possibly were used for fish farming.