Fishpond to N of Blind Lane
The site of a possible fishpond, used for breeding and storing fish. Its date is uncertain but is probably Medieval or Post Medieval.. It was marked on a Tithe Award map of 1843, but is no longer visible as an earthwork. It is situated 200m north of Alderhanger Wood, Tanworth.
1 Earthworks either side of the River Alne indicate that there was once a large pool here. A map of 1843 records the field to the N of the river as ‘Little Pike Meadow’ and that to the S as ‘Big Pike Meadow’, and this suggests that the earthworks are those of fishponds. However, the steep retaining banks on the NW and SW would mean that the depth of water was unusually great for a Medieval fishpond. The existing road runs along a high embankment on the SW side of the pool. Nothing remains of a retaining bank on the E. The area is now dry, but is permanently marshy during winter months.
3 Archaeological observations during construction of the Birmingham Airport Link (pipeline), did not identify any archaeological features.