Lea Marston Medieval Settlement
The probable extent of the medieval settlement at Lea Marston based on the Ordnance Survey map of 1887.
1 The probable extent of the medieval settlement of Lea Marston based on the OS maps of 1887, 9NW and 9NE.
2 Domesday lists 2/ 3 entries for Lea Marston in Coleshill Hundred. The Phillimore ed. Has a grid ref. of 2094.
Ref 17,48 Robert d’Oilly holds 1 hide in (Lea?) Marston. Land for 1 plough. Waste. Meadow 3 acres. The value was 10s; now 16d. Earl Algar held it.
Ref 21,1 Robert d’Oilly holds 2 hides in (Lea) Marston and Robert Hunter from him. Land for 2 ploughs. In lordship 1; 2 slaves. 4 villagers have 2 ploughs. Meadow 6 acres; woodland 4 furlongs long and 1 furlong wide. The value was 10s; now 20s. Aelfric held it freely before 1066. Robert bought this land from him with King William’s permission.
Ref 23,1 Robert the Burser holds 9 hides in (Lea) Marston from the King. Land for 8 ploughs. In lordship 2; 2 slaves; 24 villagers with 6 ploughs. A mill at 10s; meadow 6 acres. The value was and is £4. Aelmer held it freely before 1066.
3 The 1887 map shows a sparse village concentrated around the network of lanes west of the river. There are also some stray plots to the south, and the church itself [WA65 dating from the medieval period] lies in woodland 600m further south. The Domesday entries indicate a populous and valuable village, but the SMR holds no records from the medieval period other than the church. There is no ridge and furrow plotting for the parish and the RAF aerial photo shows no survival immediately around the village.