Wasperton Medieval Settlement
The possible extent of the Medieval settlement at Wasperton as suggested by work carried out on the Ordnance Survey map of 1886.
1 The possible extent of the Medieval settlement, based on the first edition 6″ OS map of 1886, 39SW.
2 Wasperton is listed in Domesday in Tremlow Hundred. The Phillimore edition has a grid reference of 26,58.
Ref 6,18 (Land of Coventry Church) Wasperton. 5 hides. Land for 11 ploughs. In lordship 1; 2 slaves; 18 villagers and 1 smallholder with 7 ploughs. A mill at 20s, 4 packloads of salt and 1,000 eels; meadow, 30 acres; woodland 1/2 league long and 2 furlongs wide. Value before 1066 £4; later 50s; now 70s.
3 The 1886 map shows a hamlet each side of a winding main street. There are empty areas containing trees, which suggest shrinkage. There is a hedge marked running close to the river which is a flood terrace hedge although it looks a bit like a boundary hedge. Thre is no ridge and furrow survival marked on the mapdata, nor ridge and furrow plotting of the parish. WA 5250 is the site of a medieval church, and WA 2204 the remains of a medieval manor house.