Abbot's Salford Medieval Settlement
The possible extent of the Medieval settlement at Abbot's Salford. It is known from the Ordnance Survey map of 1886 and from ridge and furrow earthworks visible on aerial photographs.
1 The possible extent of the Medieval settlement, including the shrunken settlement PRN 6415, and based on the first edition 6″ map, 49NW 1884.
2 The ridge and furrow plotting for the parish (of Salford Priors), shows lots of ridge and furrow to the SE and an earthwork to the NE of the moated area.
3 In Ferncombe Hundred in the Domesday Survey.Grid ref 0650. Reference 11.3:-
( Land of Evesham Church)
in (Abbot’s) Salford 2 hides. Land for 6 ploughs. In lordship 1; 2 slaves;
9 villagers and 5 smallholders with 7 ploughs.
A mill at 10s and 20 sticks of eels; meadow, 6 1/2 furlongs
long and 1 1/2 furlongs wide.
The value was 40s; now 60s.
4 Part of a rectangular enclosure defined by a slight earthwork bank surrounded by a shallow ditch and a pair of banks surrounded by a ditch seen on aerial photographs were mapped as part of the English Heritage National Mapping Project. These may be remains of the medieval settlement.
5 Earthwork features are visible on LiDAR to both the East and West of Evesham Road.