Medieval plot at 'Bards Walk' Wood Street Excavation, Stratford on Avon
The remains of a Medieval boundary, in the form of a bank and ditch, were found during an excavation. The boundary was probably created when the new town was laid out. It was situated in Wood Street, Stratford upon Avon.
1 Excavations in 1989 uncovered the remains of a Medieval ditch and possible bank made around the time the new town was laid out. This was replaced c.1400 by a wall and a stone lined drain.
2 The earliest pottery from the site dates to the 13th century, the ditch and drain contained a mixture of 13th and 14th century sherds, some cross-joining suggesting a 14th century construction date for the boundary. Evidence from across the site suggests iron smithing in the vicinity.
1 /Excav interim /WMFA /1990 / / / /WMBFI 7031 /Y /
2 /Excav Report /WMFA /1991 / / / /WMBFI 7031 /Y /