Maxstoke Priory Corn Mill and Granary
The site of Maxstoke Priory corn mill and granary. The buildings were constructed during the medieval period and the site is located 200m west of the church in Maxtoke.
Remains of the water mill of Maxstoke priory.
1 Fragments of a granary, &c, to the NW of the Abbey precinct.
6 At the extreme W end of the Precinct wall two arches represent the place at which the mill race left the mill.
7 A very ruined building. In 1729 considerable remains were extant which consisted of a rectangular building with wings, the walls being lit with narrow windows with a gable at the N end. The boundary wall here is pierced with numerous irregular doorways, windows and other openings. Beside these is a pool of stagnant water and C19 rubble which flows through an arch under the wall. Holliday believed that this building was the pristinium which was at first a rectangular building, the piece at the end being added as the watermill, powered by water flowing between reservoirs.
8 Drawing, by Buck, of 1729.
10 The water mill still stood as “impressive remains;” mill was stone-built.
12 In mid-C14 the Priory obtained the old manor house of Maxstoke from Sir John de Clinton. They converted the buildings into barns and used the moat to drive a watermill. Slight traces of this mill are visible at the outflow from the moat.
13 A ruined building at the north-east corner of the rectangular pond is thought to be on the site of one the priory watermills.
14 Photographed in 1977.
15 Architectural Report of Maxstoke Priory by RCHME.