Ice house in grounds of Edstone Hall
The site of an icehouse, a structure built partially underground and used to store ice during the warmer months. The icehouse was in use during the Post Medieval and Imperial periods. The icehouse was situated 400m north of Mill Hill Plantation.
1 The icehouse is another instance of neglect and must have collapsed many years ago. The site is now only traceable by a small crater-like depression on the top of a hill. The entrance to the ice house is shown approximately to the N on the OS map.
2 Shown on OS map of 1926.
3 Shown on OS 1:10560 1886 Sht Warks 38NW
4 The original hall was built between 1810 and 1812, and Beamon and Roaf state that it can be assumed the ice house was contemporary. Site of ice house is opposite the hall, on top of a hill and close to a lake. There is a mention of the building in a sale catalgue of 1919.