Hillmorton Medieval Settlement
The probable extent of the medieval settlement at Hillmorton based on the Ordnance Survey map of 1887.
1 The probable extent of the medieval settlements based on the OS first edition map of 1887, 28NE and the second edition of 1887, 28SE.
2 Domesday has 5 entries for Hillmorton under Marton Hundred. The Phillimore ed. gives a grid ref of 5373.
Ref 16,35 in (Hill) Morton 1 1/2 hides. Merwin holds from him. Land for 6 ploughs. In lordship 1; 1 slave; 5 villagers and 6 smallholders with 3 ploughs. Meadow, 12 acres. The value was 30s; later 25s; now 30s. Merwin, Scroti and Waltheof held it freely.
Ref 16,36 in the same village 1 hide and 1 virgate of land. Waltheof holds from him. Land for 6 ploughs. In lordship 1 with 1 slave; 10 villagers and 7 smallholders with 4 ploughs. Meadow, 12 acres. The value was 50s; later and now 45s. Scroti held it freely before 1066.
Ref 16,37 in (Hill)Morton 1/2 hide. Waltheof holds from him. Land for 2 ploughs. 3 villagers with 1 smallholder and 1 slave have 1 plough. Meadow, 6 acres. The value was 15s; now 10s. Waltheof also held it freely before 1066.
Ref 18,1 Hugh of Grandmesnil holds in charge from the King 1 hide and the sixth part of 1 hide in (Hill)Morton and in Willoughby. Land for 2 ploughs. 5 villagers with 1 smallholder who have 2 ploughs. The value was 20s; now 30s. Grimkelland Swein held it.
Ref 44,5 Richard (the Forester) also holds 1 hide in (Hill)Morton. Land for 2 ploughs. In lordship 1/2 plough; 3 villagers and 3 smallholders with 1 plough. Meadow, 10 acres. The value was and is 20s. Wicking held it freely.
3 Aerial photograph.
5 The 1887 maps show a poly-focal village with centres around the church, the manor house, Lower Street and Higher Street. The fields to the south of Higher Street look like strip fields. The railway severs the church from the rest of the village. Patchy survival of ridge and furrow can be seen on the RAF aerial photo of 1947, and in some places it abuts the settlements. Domesday indicates a complicated pattern of ownership, and The VCH notes that it is derived from the 2 townships of Hull and Morton. The church [WA3370] dates from the medieval period; there is an area of known shrunken settlement to the north of the church [WA3357], the manor house [WA3352] was originally medieval with an associated moat [WA5641]. A medieval cross [WA3356] survives in Higher Street.
6 Archaeological Observation (Salvage recording) of foundation trenches of five houses and topsoil stripping for new driveway at 44-46 High Street, Hillmorton (EWA 7250, SP53187355). Two curving ditches containing 13-15th century pottery and late medieval/post medieval furrows along with some undated features were recorded.
7 Archaeological observation of the excavation of foundation trenches for three houses (EWA7322) at 42 High Street, Hillmorton, Rugby (SP53147357), recorded the possible remains of a medieval furrow. No medieval dating material was recovered from the excavations.
8 An evaluation at 56 Lower Street, Hillmorton located a medieval boundary ditch of significant size (3m wide, 1m deep) running parallel to Lower Street and with 13th-14th century pottery sherds in it.
9 19 sherds of 13th century pottery were found during a watching brief in advance of development at 81 High Street.
10 Event associated with 9 noted.