Hunningham Medieval Settlement
The probable extent of the medieval settlement of Hunningham based on the Ordnance Survey map of 1886, and including the two known shrunken areas.
1 The probable extent of medieval settlement based on the OS map of 1886, 34NW.
2 Domesday lists Hunningham in Marton Hundred. The Phillimore ed. Has a grid ref of 3768.
Ref 28,6-7 Osmund holds 2 hides in Hunningham. Land for 4 ploughs. In lordship 1; 2 slaves; 4 villagers and 2 smallholders with 1 plough. Meadow 6 acres. The value was 40s, now 30s. Ernwy held it freely before 1066.
Ketel holds 1 1/2 hides and 1/2 virgates of land in the same village. Land for 3 ploughs. In lordship 1, with 1 slave. 3 villagers and 5 smallholders with 2 ploughs. Meadow 6 acres. The value was and is 30s. Saewulf held it freely.
3 The 1886 map shows a very small settlement. There is a central triangular area enclosed by lanes which is the site of the shrunken area WA 7268 and there is another known shrunken area [WA2526] just to the west. The earthworks of the moated site [WA2529] are shown on the map, but not identified. The buildings east of the bridge [WA2509] have post-medieval names, but they could overlie earlier structures, as the bridge itself dates from the medieval period. The parish has not been covered by ridge and furrow plotting, but the mapdata aerial photo shows survival only to the west of the river.
4, 5 Several watching briefs at Sunrise Cottage and at Linden Lodge have confirmed it unlikely that medieval settlement extends as far south as was previously mapped. No ridge and furrow survives this far south. The GIS was altered.