Studley Medieval Settlement
The probable extent of the medieval settlement based on the Ordnance Survey maps of 1886, and on aerial photographs.
1 The probable extent of the medieval settlement based on the OS maps of 1886, 31SW and 37NW.
2 The ridge and furrow plotting of the parish.
3 There are 2 entries for Studley in Domesday. It was in Ferncombe Hundred and the Phillimore edition gives a grid reference of SP 0763.
Ref 26,16 William (son of Corbucion) also holds in Studley 4 hides. Land for 11 ploughs. In lordship 2; 3 slaves. 19 villagers with a priest and 12 smallholders have 9 ploughs. A mill at 5s; meadow 24 acres; a salt-house which pays 19 packloads of salt; woodland 1 league long and 1/2 league wide. The value was and is 100s. Swein held it freely.
Ref 29,5 William (Bonvallet) holds 1 hide in Studley from William. Land for 2 ploughs. In lordship 1 plough. Meadow 4 acres; woodland 3 furlongs long and 2 furlongs wide. Value 10s. Godric held it freely.
4 The 1886 maps show a complex pattern of settlement, possibly polyfocal, most of which lies along Ryknield Street, [WA445 and WA8674]. The area of dense occupation west of the Priory site [WA6163] looks un-planned, whereas the areas further south suggest, by their straight lines, that they are of a later date. The ridge and furrow on the plotting for the parish shows patchy survival, but there are areas that abut the village, particularly the central part. The church [WA571] lies to the east, just south of the castle [WA570], and there was medieval settlement close by, but it was deserted [WA6171].