Clifford Bridge, the site of a bridge dating from the Medieval to Post Medieval period, which was replaced in 1927. It crossed the Stour at Clifford Lane.
1 The bridge over the Stour at the parish boundary had been built by 1266 when one of the tenants of the manor owed the service of repairing the bridge; by the 17th century it was called Clifford Bridge. The hump-backed stone bridge of three arches noted by Ogilby in ‘Britannia’ (1675) remained until 1927. Because of frequent flooding the bridge was rebuilt and the road raised in 1927.
2 This site requires a site visit.