Clifford Manor gardens
Clifford Manor gardens, created by the collaboration of Sir Edward Lutyens and Gertrude Jekyll in the 20th century. Some of the gardens may date to the late Imperial period. They are situated at Clifford Chambers.
1 An early 20th century garden surrounding an 18th and 20th century house, with adjacent Medieval moat (WA 1325). Main gardens to SE, S and SW of house, c1919, possibly with advice from Jekyll. Lawns, terrace, woodland; garden uses moat as water feature.
2 Some of the garden features may predate 1919 and possibly date to 1909-1917.
3 This is the county’s only example of a garden created by the collaboration of Sir Edward Lutyens and Gertrude Jekyll.
4 The major period of garden development was 1909-1917, when Edward Douty owned the house. Lutyens was called in after fire damaged the house in 1918. Believed to be the only example of the work of Lutyens as a garden designer and Jekyll as a plantswoman in Warwickshire.
5 The OS 1:10560 1938 Sht Warks 44SW shows the gardens and extended house.