Curdworth Bridge - remains of

Description of this historic site

The remains of Curdworth Bridge which was built during the Post Medieval period. The site is located 300m south of Spring Farm.

Notes about this historic site

1 Tradition has it that the then-existing bridge was built by John Vesey, Bishop of Exeter, during the reign of Edward VI in 1553. It was reputedly built of stone brought from the manor house of Sutton.
2 From the visible remains, it seems similar to Water Orton Bridge (built by Vesey – see MWA32).
3 Remains of 16th century bridge consist of 3 piers, which protrude a little above the water level. The south pier is just visible in the river bank, the centre pier is complete, and only part of the north pier remains.
4 The existing bridge (MWA52) was built in 1836 when the road was diverted, and is located downstream of the original structure. The foundations of the old bridge can be seen at low water-level. An illustration of the earlier bridge (probably that built by Bishop Vesey) appears in the Aylesford Collection and shows it to be of six arches with cutwater piers, similar to Water Orton.
5 The River Tame has been realigned west of the modern bridge and no traces remain of the earlier bridge.
6 A site visit on 31/1/92 failed to locate any trace of this bridge.
7 Archaeological observation at Curdworth Bridge recorded no evidence for the 16th century bridge which is known to have once stood upstream of the current bridge, built in 1836. The observation did record evidence for a narrow gauge railway or tramway once associated with the sewage works. The bridge appears to have fallen into disrepair by 1633 when, in Michelmas Sessions, the inhabitants of Curdworth were presented for not repairing the bridge or the causeway leading to it. By Easter 1674 the bridge was recorded as being in great decay and speedy repairs were required.
8 Possible Civil War skirmish site.

More from Curdworth