Church of St Peter, Galley Common, Nuneaton and Bedworth
The Church of St. Peter which was built during the Imperial period. It is situated at Galley Common, 100m south of Galley Gap.
1 St Peter’s Church of 1909.
2 Noted by Ordnance Survey.
3 Church in advanced state of disrepair, temporarily held at bay with external shoring, internal ties etc. Radical re-ordering may be required in order to save it at all. Not under faculty jurisdiction.
4 The entrance [to the churchyard] is opposite the south prch, with double oakgates dated to 1965. There is a very prominent 19th century table tomb on the south side of the church to the Thornley family of Gilbertstone House. The oldest gravemarkers are no longer en situ but piled up against the walls of the modern extension. They appear to be late 17th and early 18th century in date. Though the architectural details visible from the outside are now mostly late perpendicular or decorated and date respectively to late 15th century and 19th century restorations (1847, 1887) the building has a long and complex history which might well record a careful study of the fabric