All Saints Church, Seckington
The parish church of All Saints, Seckington. The church was built in the Medieval period, with later alterations in the 14th and 19th centuries. The church is located 75m to the north west of the Seckington Old Hall.
1 Chancel, nave, W tower with spire and S porch, all rebuilt early 14th century. Tower and spire restored 1883.
2 Chancel is probably of late 13th century origin, although E and S windows date from about 1330, when it was remodelled and the nave, tower and porch rebuilt. Tower and spire rebuilt c1883 and other drastic restorations occurred in C19. The first reference to the church is in 1205.
4 ‘The mutilated lady’ is rumoured to be the grave of the murdered wife of William Burdett, it is said that he murdered his wife when he thought she had committed adultery
5 Graves found to SE of churchyard in 1957. Grave slabs in sanctuary. External drains – whole exterior. Ditched feature in garden to N of churchyard. Ridge and furrow to NW, motte and bailey castle to NW. Probably good survival of below-floor deposits except in sanctuary, where there is disturbance by gravel.
6 An archaeological watching brief was maintained during drainage groundworks at All Saints Church in May 1997. The relatively shallow human interment encountered on the N side of the church was in marked contrast to the substantial brick-vaulted burial to the S. The evidence of two interments is hardly sufficient as the basis of firm conclusions. Nevertheless, it is possible that part of the churchyard lying immediately to the S of the church was customarily used for the interment of more well-to-do persons while that to the N was allocated at some stage for others.