Church of St James, Bulkington
The Church of St James, Bulkington, which was built during the Medieval period. The church was later restored during the Post Medieval and Imperial periods. It is situated at the north end of Church Street, Bulkington.
1 Chancel with N vestry, nave, N and S aisles, S porch and W tower. Of the church as it existed in the early 13th century only the nave arcades remain. Late 13th century N aisle; S aisle and chancel of the latter half of the 14th century. Mid 15th century W tower. S clerestory probably of late 15th century or early 16th century. Much restored in the 19th century, when the vestry was added; further restoration in 1907, when the present S porch was built, and in 1928. The church is first mentioned in the mid 12th century.
2 Plan of the church.
3 The church is over-restored but one can still recognise dates. Nave: S arcade early 13th century, N arcade probably later 13th century. S aisle has window of c1300. Tower mid to late 14th century. Chancel arch and organ-chamber arch of 1865 by G T Robinson. Unusual late 18th century font.
4 Listed Building description.
5 Noted by Ordnance Survey.
6 Archaeological observation was carried out in 1992 of building work (construction of a new organ loft and renewal of the floor at the west end of the nave). A coffin-shaped slab was found of 13th/14th century date, and remains of two fragmentary slabs. They were left in situ, and covered with a protective layer of sand.
7 A programme of archaeological recording was carried out during re-ordering of the west end of the church. Ledger stones on the floor of the tower were recorded. A service trench excavated through the graveyard recorded a series of small grave markers along with finds of a 13th-century iron spur, medieval pottery and tile.