13th century building remains, New Place, Stratford-upon-Avon

Description of this historic site

A fragment of walling, first exposed during excavation in the 1860s, was re-excavated during community excavations in 2011. Additional pits and possible post-holes were recorded.

Notes about this historic site

1 A fragment of walling, first exposed during excavation in the 1860s, was re-excavated during community excavations in 2011. Additional pits and possible post-holes were recorded. These foundations were dated to 1200-1300, with later reconstruction during 1500.
2 A subsequent season of excavation further explored this building. It is suggested that the building may have housed those involved in the construction of the nearby Guild Chapel (MWA1019). Several pits containing high status pottery and a large assemblage of roof tiles were recorded. Several pits indicated industrial usage.

More from Building
More from Pit
More from Post Hole