Church of St Giles, Packwood
The Church of St Giles which was originally built during the Medievel period. Alterations were made to the building in subsequent years. It is situated due east of Packwood Hall.
1 Chancel, N organ-chamber, nave, N transept, N vestry, S porch and W tower. Late 13th century nave and chancel and late 15th century W tower added at the cost of Nicholas Brome of Baddesley Clinton (d1517). N transept built 1704 by Thomas Featherston. Modern organ chamber, vestry and porch. Church restored 1885. Tower has a S stair-turret. Font probably late 13th century. 15th century screen to chancel arch. Fragments of Medieval glass and wall-paintings. The church was a chapel of Wasperton, served by a priest. In 1535 it was described as a parish church.
2 Plan of the church.
3 Photograph of the exterior.
7 Moated farmhouse adjoining (Packwood Hall). Heating ducts – chancel. Internal graves – N side of nave – indicated by wall slab. N chapel floor level raised? External drains – whole exterior. Probably good survival of below-floor deposits, particularly in N chapel.