Moat 200m SW of Lapworth Grange
The site of a possible Medieval moat, a wide ditch usually surrounding a building. It is still just visible as an earthwork, and is situated 200m south of Lapworth Bridge.
1 Traces of the site of the capital messuage of Es’eneford can be seen in the field on the opposite side of the main road from Brook House (Lapworth Brook). It was moated, and the moat was fed by a strong spring, the water from which is now piped to the brook. The present owner of the field, filled in part of the moat some years ago. This Manor House is possibly referred to in a deed of 1272.
2 This site requires a site visit.