Ilmington Medieval Settlement
Probable extent of Medieval settlement in Ilmington as indicated on the Ordnance Survey map of 1886.
1The probable extent of the Medieval village based on the 1st edition 6″ map of 1886, 53NE.
2 The ridge and furrow plotting of the parish.
3 There are 3 entries in Domesday for Idlicote, in Barcheston Hundred. The Phillimore edition gives a grid reference of 21,43, which differs slightly from the 20,43 of this record.
Ref 16,20 (Land of the Count of Meulan) Ilmington. 3 thanes held it; they were free. 7 hides less 1/2 virgate of land. Land for 12 ploughs. In lordship 3 ploughs; 9 slaves; 24 villagers and 3 smallholders with a priest have 8 ploughs. Meadow, 40 acres. Value before 1066 £7; later 100s; now £10.
Ref 16,64 (Land of the Count of Meulan) in Ilmington 1 hide and 1/2 virgate. Odard holds from him. He has in lordship 2 ploughs; 6 slaves; 6 villagers with 1/2 plough. Value 40s.
Ref 22,20 (Land of Henry of Ferrers) Alric holds 1 hide in Ilmington. Land for 1 plough. It is there in lordship, with 2 slaves; 1 villager. The value was 10s; now 15s. Alric held it freely.
4 The 1886 map shows a large, dispersed village, with lanes and back lanes suggesting organic growth.There are numerous empty plots/small fields of orchards and trees. On the northeastern end, the settlement is bounded by lanes; the boundary to the southwest is less clearly defined, but fields and footpaths suggest the line. The ridge and furrow survival (see 2) abuts the village to the north and northeast, and also to the southwest. The church dates from the C12th, and WA 5743 and WA6448 are known areas of medieval activity.