The windmill sits on the 180m high Windmill Hill and lies between two parishes, Tysoe and Compton Wynyates. Built in the early 18th century. The structure is a 12 sided, barrel shaped stone tower with batter. The conical cap is covered in aluminium with finial and tail projection for winding gear, two stones, and the windmill still contains all its machinery.
The mill operated until 1915 when it was struck by lightening. In 1935 the sails were replaced and further restoration was carried out in 1951. The final restoration, paid for by the Marquess of Northampton, was carried out by D. Ogden during the period of 1968–1975.
Recently the sails and stocks were removed for safety reasons.
Tysoe also had a Post Mill built in 1752, but this was destroyed in a storm in 1923. No evidence remains on site today of its existence.