Wormleighton Medieval Settlement
The probable extent of settlement at Wormleighton during the Medieval period, which has been identified on the Ordnance Survey map of 1886. This site excludes the earthworks known as Wormleighton Deserted Village.
1 The possible extent of the Medieval settlement based on the first edition OS map of 1886, 46 SE.
2 The ridge and furrow plotting of the parish.
3 Domesday has 3 entries for Wormleighton which was in Hunsbury Hundred. The Phillimore edition has a grid reference of 4453.
Ref 16,54 in Wormleighton 1 1/2 hides. Land for 5 ploughs. Gilbert holds from him. In lordship 2 ploughs; 6 slaves; 15 villagers and 2 smallholders with 7 ploughs and with a priest. Meadow 9 acres. The value was 30s; later 20s; now £4 10s. Leofric held it freely before 1066.
Ref 17,61 Warin holds 3 hides in Wormleighton. Land for 8 ploughs. In lordship 4. 15 villagers, 4 smallholders and 2 freemen have 7 ploughs between them all. Meadow 36 acres; 2 men-at-arms hold 1 hide and 1 virgate of this land; they have 2 ploughs, with 3 smallholders. Total value before 1066 £4; later as much; now £10. Ordric, Wulfwin and Wulfric
held it freely.
Ref 30,2 Also from Geoffrey (de Mandeville) William holds 1/2 hide and the fourth part of 1 hide in Wormleighton. Land for 1 1/2 ploughs. In lordship 1 plough, with 2 smallholders. The value was 20s; now 15s.
4 The 1886 map shows quite a compact village of roadside development mostly to the south of the church. Trees and orchards fill a lot of the small fields. An apparent boundary hedge is confirmed by the ridge and furrow plotting which has survival abutting the village on all sides except to the northwest, which is the site of the deserted settlement WA1308. The church dates from the C12th.